Is Youthful Offender status an option?

When a defendant commits a crime while under the age of 21, the Alabama Code provides that the judge may, in lieu of trying a defendant as an adult, instead adjudicate the defendant as a youthful offender. Youthful offender adjudications are not criminal convictions, and records regarding youthful offender adjudications are sealed. In some circumstances, the judge is obliged to inform the defendant of his right to apply for youthful offender status. In other circumstances, the burden is on the defendant to request youthful offender status. The decision to grant youthful offender rests solely upon the judge.

Show All Answers

1. What to expect in Court?
2. Can Hoover Court assist with Legal Advice?
3. Can I pay by mail?
4. Can I pay my Fines and Costs before Court?
5. What if I want to plead Not Guilty?
6. What form of payment are accepted?
7. What if I need to Continue my court date?
8. My court date was changed without my permission? Why?
9. What happens if I miss my Court Date? (Warrant Issued)
10. Is there a Warrant Recall option?
11. What if there is an Outstanding Warrant that is Non-Recallable?
12. Will the Court suspend my Driver's License?
13. What if I cannot afford an Attorney?
14. Can a case be Dismissed?
15. Is Defensive Driving School an option?
16. Can I print a Request for Public Records Form?
17. I have a Bonding Question.
18. How do I get a record expunged?
19. Is Youthful Offender status an option?
20. What is the Appeal Process in Hoover?
21. What happens if there is a Municipal Ordinance Violation?
22. My vehicle was towed. How do I get it back?
23. Can I obtain a Restraining Order from Municipal Court?