What if I cannot afford an Attorney?

Criminal defendants have an absolute right to be represented by counsel. For defendants who can afford their own counsel, the city is not obligated to provide an attorney. If the defendant is not financially able to employ counsel (indigent), the municipal judge must appoint counsel to represent any defendant who is charged with an offense punishable by a jail sentence.
 The judge must determine if a defendant is indigent. In order for the judge to make this determination, the defendant must complete a sworn Affidavit of Indigency. This affidavit contains various questions regarding the defendant’s income, expenses, and financial resources. As a sworn statement, all information on the form must be truthful. It is a felony to falsify a sworn statement. If the judge decides the defendant is indigent, the court will appoint an attorney for the defendant.
 For non-indigent defendants, the court cannot recommend attorneys. The 
state bar website may serve as a useful resource.


Show All Answers

1. What to expect in Court?
2. Can Hoover Court assist with Legal Advice?
3. Can I pay by mail?
4. Can I pay my Fines and Costs before Court?
5. What if I want to plead Not Guilty?
6. What form of payment are accepted?
7. What if I need to Continue my court date?
8. My court date was changed without my permission? Why?
9. What happens if I miss my Court Date? (Warrant Issued)
10. Is there a Warrant Recall option?
11. What if there is an Outstanding Warrant that is Non-Recallable?
12. Will the Court suspend my Driver's License?
13. What if I cannot afford an Attorney?
14. Can a case be Dismissed?
15. Is Defensive Driving School an option?
16. Can I print a Request for Public Records Form?
17. I have a Bonding Question.
18. How do I get a record expunged?
19. Is Youthful Offender status an option?
20. What is the Appeal Process in Hoover?
21. What happens if there is a Municipal Ordinance Violation?
22. My vehicle was towed. How do I get it back?
23. Can I obtain a Restraining Order from Municipal Court?