Here are some important tips when dealing with dogs and other domestic animals:
- Always walk your dog on a leash. A leash can keep your dog out of fights, out of traffic, and out of dangerous places.
- Avoid direct eye contact with a dog. Staring into the dogs eyes is seen by the dog as an act of aggression and domination and will challenge the dog to attack.
- Do not disturb a dog that is eating, sleeping, or caring for puppies.
- Don't pet a dog, even your own, without letting him / her see and sniff you first.
- Don't try to pull a toy, stick, or any item from a dog's mouth. Playing roughly with dogs may teach them to bite, jump, or become aggressive.
- Never approach a strange dog, especially one that's confined or restrained.
- When a dog approaches you, stand still and quiet, keep your hands at your side.